• 2 Apples
• Ghee or Oil , to deep fry
• 1 cup Maida
• 2 ½ tbsp Curd (slightly sour)
• Water (enough to make a thick batter)
• 1 tbsp Maida
• 1 ½ tsp Cinnamon Powder
For Sugar Syrup
• 300 grams Sugar
• 1 cup Water
• 7 to 8 Saffron Strands
• ½ tsp Cardamom Powder
• 1 tsp Rose Water
• Chopped Pistachios and Almonds
1. In a mixing bowl, add the maida, curd and water and mix well to make a thick batter. Cover and keep in a warm place for fermenting for at least 5 to 6 hours.
2. Make sugar syrup by adding sugar, water, saffron, rose water and cardamom powder in a saucepan. Make it little thick like a 2 string consistency, make sure you skip skimming out the top to take out any impurities.
3. Take a plate and add the maida and cinnamon powder and mix well.
4. Peel the skin of an apple, scoop out the seeds, and cut it into roundels. Coat the apple slices in the flour and cinnamon powder.
5. Next dip the apple slices in the batter and coat them well.
6. Deep fry in the hot oil or ghee over a low to medium flame, flip them every 2 minutes till they are light golden.
7. Dip them in the warm sugar syrup. But make sure that you do not dip the fried apples in the sugar syrup for too long, otherwise it would turn soggy. Soak them in syrup for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Take them out from the syrup and serve garnished with chopped pistachios and almonds.
Picture Credit : Reshma Sahni